Our History

Photo Universidad del Este

During the 1940’s, three distinguished educators, Dr. Ana G. Méndez, Dr. Florencio Pagán Cruz, and Mr. Alfredo Muñiz Souffront, recognized the need for new developments in the field of education that would keep pace with the social and economic advances that were taking place in Puerto Rico at that time. With this in mind, in 1947 they began to lay the groundwork for establishing a modern institution of higher learning. In 1949, Puerto Rico Junior College was founded, and incorporated according to Puerto Rican laws on June 30, 1950. The Puerto Rico Council of Higher Education licensed the Institution on June 27, 1957, which was followed by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools accreditation on May 1, 1959. It has been subsequently reaccredited since 1959 until the present. In 1992, the institution changed its name to Colegio Universitario del Este to incorporate baccalaureate degrees. Finally, in 2001 Universidad del Este completed its transformation and evolution, as well as its new name, from a junior college to a college to a university by initiating its first master’s degree programs.

In 2019 Universidad del Este changed its name to Ana G. Méndez University, Carolina Campus.

Presently, Universidad Ana G. Méndez (UAGM) operates four campuses: UAGM Carolina Campus, UAGM Cupey Campus, UAGM Gurabo Campus and UAGM Online Campus.